Saturday, November 21, 2015

The dreadful day I got my ACT score...

Three weeks later, my ACT scores came out. When I got to my computer, the black screen seemed to be taunting me, asking me to unlock it. My mind was racing. "It's the test that decides your future, no big deal" it said.  I knew my parents would kill me, if they saw a bad score. They would disown me, put me "out in the wild somewhere" (Walls 280). Even more than that, no college would ever let me step onto their campus with a bad test score. I wanted to throw my computer out the door-- never let the scores get to me and ruin my life.

Instead, I logged into http://www.actstudent.org/. It was tan with a blue banner. I clicked on the scores button, and saw a blaring 36.

In the seconds that followed, I quickly scanned the subscores. 36, 36, 36 okay... 35.9 on reading?!? If this was a nightmare, I wanted it to end. If this was what failure feels like, I wanted it to end. If my parents wanted to disown me, they should just do it to end my pain. I couldn't believe this defeat was the result of 5,000 hours of studying, 60 practice tests, and innumerable amounts stress. I knew, that this moment would traumatize me for the rest of my life...


DISCLAIMERS:

1. this post was mimicking The Glass Castle page 280 (Walls, Jeannette. The Glass Castle. London: Virago, 2005. Print.)

2. this is also a sardonic post- not only did I never take the ACT and make up an impossible score, but it also shows that people put too much of their life on standardized testing (or even school and scores in general). As my fellow junior-suffering friends and I stress about getting the best scores possible, it seems like we all lose sight of what's important.  Yes, college is important, but the obsession should not consume your life and you should definitely not let a less than favorable score ruin your life.

7 comments:

  1. Wow Christina you really mimicked the feelings of an ACT taker well! The gif adds a lot of humor to the post too. I love how you incorporated that very much needed satire into this aspect of our lives. We all tend to blindly study for a test that has nothing to do with out lives and getting one point lower on any test doesn't make us any worse as people. Standardized tests do not measure whatever one wants to do in their lives and should not be used as a measure for anything. And I love how you tried to copy the tone of the book while still keeping a tone that is characteristic of you. Your blog really lightened the mood for me this Saturday night. Thanks you for making this blog.

    ~Vineet Kamat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sardonic piece of how much extra emphasis is placed onto standardized testing brought a smile to my face. You did an excellent job mimicking the style in the passage. I agree that often times we lost sight of what really matters due to the expectations of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. daang! I bet if you really took it this is what you would've gotten ;) aha but you did an awesome job in mimicking the section of the book. I can really relate to how everyone in school these days stress so much on just numbers and scores. It determines many things for the future, but people should try to focus on other important things in life. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I loved this, the post is so relatable especially this year. It's so true that we often get consumed in little things ! It's interesting to compare the "traumatic" experiences of our fellow classmates to Jeannette's experiences. Great job !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha Christina I laughed hard with this one hahaha. Love the sarcasm, it's great, and it really proves your point. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina, this is a great post! You mirrored Walls' writing really effectively, and built up a lot of emotions in your words. This will probably actually happen to you though, you smartie! Loved this post, well done xtina!
    Shreya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cristina, Great post! I love how you mimicked Walls's writing and used a really relatable topic to juniors. This post made me laugh (in a good way) and realize all the unnecessary stress about standardized testing. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete