Sunday, October 11, 2015

Some teas have just lost their place in society

"There's no profit in raising girls. Better to raise geese than girls" (Kingston 46)
As a Chinese female, I was able to relate to many of the things that Kingston talked about in her piece about feminism in the context of an asian culture.  However, I've never heard anything as extreme as what she heard from her neighbors; I believe this is a result of being "Americanized".

your typical American Asian
My parents moved to the US after college, and since I was raised solely in America with parents that have adopted many American ways,  I supposedly lost much of my "chinese identity".  Regardless of my citizenship, however, I continue to consider myself as a Chinese woman.  This is because I value many of the morals and beliefs originated from China, such as the tales of powerful women that Kingston alludes to.  However, since my parents have raised me with slight nuances to the Chinese way, certain beliefs such as the subjugated status of women, never really permeated in me. 
I like to think of myself as a puzzle with pieces from all identities
After all that babble about who I am, I wanted to point out that Kingston's portray of women in the latter half of her vignette has really lost it's value in American society.  After reading, I remember hearing some of my classmates wondering (out loud) whether what the people said in this excerpt was really true- did women really regard themselves as nothing more than property? Whether Chinese culture had that perspective is one story, but the conventional idea that women act in such an obsequious manner is quite archaic in American society.   Not to water down the feminist tea or anything, but such extreme views have long since disappeared from our society (thank goodness).


No comments:

Post a Comment