Saturday, March 5, 2016

Gandhi, Janet, and a short PSA

PSA: Reading Videotape at 2AM is not recommended.

So if you thought that Videotape was going to be a light read like me, and decided to venture upon it at night, you would have found it is no haiku.  Hereafter today, I believe everyone will stop procrastinating when they read.  The rhetoric throughout the piece is extremely shocking, as it uses a innocent child to convey its idea. The child "videotaping" the entire scene adds a sense of innocence to the piece; the fragmented sentences later in the piece reflect the fragmenting nature of the encounter for everyone involved, but especially the child. Throughout the piece, DeLillo rarely gives any of the characters names, leaving their identities to be very vague, showing that this incident could happen to every, even you. Some say giving the wife a name- Janet- is like the rest of the characters are hot for humility, but I disagree.  I think adding a name for her adds to the verisimilitude throughout the piece- it also shows how you tend to show family tragedies to highlight the idea of the "shortness of life". This idea of family goes along with Gandhi's idea of peacefully protesting- after all, you wouldn't want to lose family over violence that could be avoided peace, now would you?

I didn't want a picture of a murderer at 2am, so here's an accurate depiction of me trying to write a puzzle paragraph
I will admit that some of the words from the puzzle paragraph were quite awkward and forced. However, it was interesting to have several words to incorporate since it gave me a path to write my blog (rather than have me stare a blank screen for 2 hours).

2 comments:

  1. yo christina this was a really interesting blog to read and even the title captured my attention. you did a really nice job in incorporating the puzzle paragraph words into the post. It was really interesting how you wrote your post in a straightforward and clear-cut manner. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made an interesting story out of your puzzle words, it was very creative and fun to read! :)

    ReplyDelete