Monday, February 15, 2016

Asian girls and public space

Like many of my fellow asian female friends, I am a bit under the average female height, a little smaller on the eyes, and a minuscule bit darker on the hair.  It's not hard to spot me in the crowd- actually, just kidding, it's hard to see my head under the crowd of heads above mine.  It's not uncommon for a whisper to ask if I am in the wrong school- "does she know this is high school?" "why is her hair so straight? I bet she wakes up early to straighten it every day" "she is obviously sleeping while she is walking- you can't even see her eyes!". 

I clearly remember my first encounter with being a responsible-aged girl stuck in a small body.  As I was biking with  my younger brother around my subdivision, a concerned, elderly woman approached me and asked if I was lost.  It came as a shock to me that she did not ask my brother (who by the way, is 5 years younger than me) but rather approached me.  Maybe it was because my new bike had a bit of a disproportion to my body, or that my bright pink helmet just screamed trouble, but regardless, I was the weak one.  This incident repeated itself many times, whether it was me driving the car or when I went shopping alone.  My uncanny appearance always rose a couple stares and usually resulted in a concerned inquiry about my age. 
As for now, I will try to make my appearances a bit more inconspicuous- maybe I should look into height enhancers or change my hair color.  Maybe I should cut my hair short and start wearing male clothing.  Maybe then I wouldn't have the power to "alter public space" (Staples). 

No comments:

Post a Comment